Kevin P. Groarke is a partner in the Real Estate practice.
Kevin is a veteran real estate lawyer focused on structuring and implementing acquisitions, dispositions, financing and leasing of commercial property. His clients include developers, owners, non-U.S. investors, REITs, banks and financial institutions.
Kevin has represented private, institutional and sovereign investors in complex investment and joint venture transactions for the acquisition of existing real estate assets and the development or redevelopment of an array of asset types, including office buildings, shopping centers, mixed-use projects, hospitals and other medical facilities, multi-family residences, data centers, hotels and casinos. His pro bono representations include projects for Habitat for Humanity New York City, Uncommon Schools and the Simon Wiesenthal Center Museum of Tolerance.
- Represented six funds, two U.S.-based and four off-shore funds, in connection with an investment in a joint venture for the acquisition and ownership of post-acute rehabilitation facilities, including formation and capitalization of the investment vehicles, the $305 million acquisition of the initial portfolio of 11 rehabilitation centers, net leasing of the portfolio to an operating company and the related senior secured financing.
- Represented a family office in connection with an investment in an office building complex situated in the suburban Philadelphia.
- Represented the U.S.-based ownership of a Caribbean island resort in connection with a long-term operating arrangement with a resort management company
- Represented an investor group on the acquisition of a 49 percent interest in a major New York hotel.
- Represented an investor group in repositioning a portfolio of mixed use properties through sales and sale/leaseback transactions.
- Represented a leading German mutual fund in connection with the acquisition of an office building in midtown Manhattan.
- Represented God’s Love We Deliver, Inc., in connection with the renovation and expansion of its Manhattan headquarters building, including expansion of its kitchen, meal prep and distribution facility. This engagement included the sale of development rights, a building loan, capital funding from the New York City Economic Development Corporation, major donations (including a building naming agreement) and leasing temporary swing space.
- Represented New York University in the development of a new facility in downtown Brooklyn for the university’s post-graduate Center for Urban Science and Progress, which included a 99-year ground lease with purchase option and a related development and relocation agreement with the city of New York.
- Represented a syndication of European banks in connection with a workout of a $190 million construction loan.
- Represented a major international bank in the restructuring of a loan secured by a portfolio of senior living facilities located in Florida, Arizona and California.
- Represented an investor group in the acquisition of a major Atlantic City hotel-casino complex and a corporate reorganization of other related entities which owned several hotel and casino assets in the Midwest.
- Represented New York University on a complex lease for approximately 350,000 square feet of office space in Manhattan.
- Represented a Native American tribal nation in connection with a potential development of a new gaming casino and hotel complex in upstate New York.
- Represented numerous companies as tenants in connection with negotiations of major office leases,including:
- Representation of a major international cosmetics company in connection with a multi-floor office lease in Manhattan and a lease for back office functions in New Jersey;
- Representation of a national shoe wholesale distributor with regard to an office and showroom lease in mid-town Manhattan;
- Representation of the largest law firm in the world with regard to an 18-year extension and amendment of a lease for 200,000 square feet of office space and 20,000 square feet for ancillary uses in mid-town Manhattan. Additionally, a lease for 20,000 square feet for the firm’s venture technology practice in the SoHo district;
- Representation of a major financial advisory firm with regard to an office and video studio and production space lease; and
- Representation of DoubleVerify, Inc., the industry leader for media authentication for the online advertising sector, in negotiating a lease for its new office headquarters, a 32,000 square foot, full floor at the trendy One SOHO Square in New York.
- Represented a New York investor group in connection with the phased development and financing of a full-service Hilton Hotel, a Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn over an eight-year period as integral parts of the Easton Town Center near Columbus, Ohio.
- Represented a New York Stock Exchange-listed national owner/operator of senior housing in connection with the formation of a joint venture with a major private equity fund for acquiring and investing in assisted and independent living facilities.